Traditionally a Mexican breakfast, black bean and chicken chilaquiles requires only 8 ingredients and can be enjoyed at any time of day. Serve with a mixed green salad topped with diced avocado, tomato wedges, and olives.
Black Bean and Chicken Chilaquiles
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fat-free less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 7 3/4-ounce can salsa de chile fresco (such as El Pato)
- 15 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup shredded queso blanco about 4 ounces
- 1.Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2.Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add chicken; cook 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl; stir in beans. Add broth and salsa to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- 3.Place half of tortilla strips in bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer half of chicken mixture over tortillas; top with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture. Pour broth mixture evenly over chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until tortillas are lightly browned and cheese is melted.