Chicken in Pipian Sauce with Peanuts
Write a review
- 3 lb chicken thighs or whole chicken, cut up
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 dried chipotle peppers
- 1 Serrano pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cored
- 1 medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/3 cup roasted pepitas ( pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1/2 teaspoon cumin, set aside.
- In a large pan preheat 4 tablespoons of olive oil to medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes per side.
- You may have to cook in two batches.
- Remove from pan and transfer to a large plate.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoon of oil from pan.
- Reduce heat slightly and add the chipotle peppers and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the Serrano, garlic, tomato and onion.
- Cook for 8 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Add 2 cups of broth to pan and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Transfer contents of pan to the blender.
- Add the peanuts, pepitas and 1/8 cup of sesame seeds
- Secure the lid and using a kitchen towel, hold lid down.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Add sauce back to the same pan and cook to medium heat.
- Add the remaining broth, taste for salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken back into pan.
- Cover and cook at a low simmer for 40 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to serving platter, pour sauce over chicken and garnish with remaining sesame seeds.