These authentic Mexican chicken tacos are best made when you’ve got a few hours to savour a deliciously slow-cooked meal.
Chicken en Adobo Taco Recipe
- 1 oz. canola oil
- 4 each garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano dried
- ½ tsp black pepper ground
- 1 Tbsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp cloves ground
- 1 cup water
- 5 each ancho chiles reconstituted with hot water
- 1 Tbsp raw sugar or agave syrup
- 1 oz apple cider vinegar preferably organic
- 5 lbs. chicken thighs skin on, bone in
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 carrot peeled
- 1 poblano chile
- 6 cups water
- ½ cup adobo paste
- 2 key limes
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- Season the chicken thighs with salt, preferably half an hour in advance.
- Sear the chicken thighs on both sides.
- Add the vegetables and water.
- Cover and place in a 300-degree oven for two hours, or until meat is falling off the bone.
- Remove all of the skin and bones from the meat and shred.
- Fold the adobo paste into the shredded chicken.
- Warm for service if the chicken has cooled down.
- Taste for salt, it will need some.
- Cilantro, chopped
- Cotija cheese, crumbled
- Corn tortillas