The spicy sweet flavor from mole goes wonderfully with pasta.
Chicken Mole Pasta
Write a review
For the mole
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 corn tortilla, sliced
- 1/3 cup blanched, sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 plum tomato, halved
- 1/2 of 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
For the pasta
- 2 cups Barilla Collezione pasta
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup corn
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- cilantro, for garnish
- Heat the chicken broth to almost boiling in a small bowl.
- Add the raisins and stir.
- Let soak.
- In a skillet over high heat, add the sliced corn tortilla, almonds, cocoa powder, chile powder, and red chili flakes.
- Toast while stirring constantly until fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan, and place in a blender or food processor.
- Next, add the oil to the pan, and then add the tomato, onion and garlic.
- Char until nicely browned all over.
- Peel the garlic.
- Add the garlic, onion, and tomato to the blender or food processor.
- Turn the blender or food processor on low, and stream in the raisin-chicken broth mixture.
- Add the remaining ingredients
- sugar, lime juice, cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Taste, and adjust salt if necessary.
- Puree the mole until very smooth it may take 5 minutes to puree the almonds.
- When smooth, transfer to a small dish.
- You will have 1 cup of mole.
- Next, bring a medium pot of water to boil for the pasta.
- Once boiling, add 1 tablespoon of salt to the water followed by the Collezione pasta.
- Cook the pasta for 13 minutes, or until al dente.
- Meanwhile, place the red pepper on a direct glass flame (or under the broiler) to char the skin.
- Once it is mostly blackened, place it in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap to steam for 10 minutes.
- Peel the thin skin off the pepper, and slice the pepper.
- Next, char the corn in a skillet (I use the same pan I toasted the spices in).
- To assemble the pasta, mix the pasta with 1/2 cup of mole, the Greek yogurt, red pepper, corn, and shredded chicken.
- Garnish with cilantro and extra yogurt, if desired.