- 5 pounds pork butt cut into 2 inch cubes
- 5 tablespoons annato seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 8 whole allspice berries
- 2-3 habanero Peppers fresh or dried, cleaned and minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 5 lemons
- 1-2 shots of tequila
- banana leaves optional
- Grind the annato seeds, cumin seeds, whole peppercorns, whole cloves, and whole allspice in a mortar and pestle, spice grinder or coffee grinder.
- Blend the cleaned and chopped habanero peppers with the orange juice, vinegar, garlic and salt in a blender.
- Blend then add the dry spices.
- Add the juice of 5 lemons and a nice splash of tequila.
- Pace the cubed pork butt in a large zip lock bag and add the marinade.
- Soak 4-6 hours/overnight, in refrigerator, turning several times.
- Line (8×13) baking pan with banana leaves.
- Pour in pork along with the marinade.
- Cover with Banana leaves and seal the pan with foil.
- Bake in a 325 F degree oven for 3 hours.
- Crack it open at 3 see how its doing and if it needs more put it back.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!