If you aren’t familiar with this Mexican treat, you need to be. This simple preparation brings out the best in sweet corn.
Esquite with herbs
- fresh herbs like thyme and oregano optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 6 ears corn shucked and cleaned
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup lime juice more to taste
- queso fresco crumbled
- chili powder
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Add the fresh herbs, the peppercorns and the salt.
- Then carefully add the corn to the boiling water.
- Simmer the corn in the herbed water for 5 minutes.
- Remove the corn from the boiling water.
- Retain several cups of the herbed water (with the herbs strained out) if you are not serving the dish immediately, as you can keep the corn warm in the herb infused water until you are ready to serve it.
- Just make sure to drain the corn well before mixing in the mayonnaise.
- Cut the corn from each cob, using a sharp knife and a diagonal downward motion.
- Place the corn in a bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise and lime juice and stir to fully incorporate the mayonnaise into the corn.
- Taste the corn and add more mayonnaise and/or lime juice if needed.
- Transfer the corn to a serving dish.
- Top with crumbled queso fresco and sprinkle with chili powder.