Heat oil in a large skillet. Place the beef, potatoes, and 1 teaspoon salt in the skillet and cover and cook for about 10 minutes, until meat is cooked and potatoes are tender.
Gorditas de Chile Verde con Carne y Papas + Las Palmas Bay Area Schedule
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or shortening
- 2¼ pounds stew beef diced
- 3 medium russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt plus additional to taste
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ tablespoons flour
- ½ cup Las Palmas diced green chile
- 1 28-ounce can Las Palmas green chile enchilada sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 small Yukon Gold potato peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 2 cups masa harina corn flour
- 1½ cups warm water
- 2 cups canola oil for frying
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomato
- Shredded cheese
Chile Verde con Carne Instructions
- 1.Heat oil in a large skillet. Place the beef, potatoes, and 1 teaspoon salt in the skillet and cover and cook for about 10 minutes, until meat is cooked and potatoes are tender.
- 2.Uncover and add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add flour and stir at least 2 minutes. Add green chile, sauce, and water and stir. Let mixture come to a boil. Add additional salt to taste. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 1.Boil diced potato in boiling water with ¾ teaspoon salt until soft enough to mash, about 15 minutes. Strain, mash, and set aside.
- 2.In a separate bowl, mix together the corn flour, water, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1 cup mashed potatoes. Knead for about 5 minutes. Cover with a dish towel and let stand for about 15 minutes.
- 3.Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Using your hands make 12 patties about 1⁄8 inch thick.
- 4.In a deep frying pan, such as a wok, heat cooking oil until very hot. Gently drop 2 or 3 gorditas into the oil. They will sink to the bottom of the pan. Once they rise to the surface, about 3 to 5 minutes, turn them over. Allow to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. They should be a golden brown. Place the fried gorditas on paper towels to drain excess oil. Finish cooking all the gorditas and allow them to cool off slightly, about 5 minutes.
- 5.Cut open one end of each gordita creating a pocket. Fill with chile verde con carne. Top filled gorditas with your choice of toppings.