I became a madly addicted to street tacos after my first trip to Mexico with who is now my wife Julieta. Growing up in Vancouver I did not have tonnes of options for ethnic Mexican food. It used to be hard to find authentic Mexican food but luckily that has changed.
Mexican Carne Asada Tacos
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1-2 chilies minced (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon pureed kiwi
- minced cilantro
- finely diced onion
- your favorite hot sauce
- Thinly slice the steak and place in a bowl. Combine the marinade ingredients and add to the steak. Marinate in the fridge for at least an hour, but not overnight. (The kiwi will break the steak down and turn it to mush if you let it marinate over night).
- When ready to grill, remove from the fridge and let the meat come to room temperature (about 30 minutes). This will ensure even cooking. Heat a cast iron pan on high and cook the steak until nicely browned.
- Serve on warmed corn tortillas with cilantro, onion, hot sauce and limes. Enjoy!