Carne Adovada Enchiladas
- 1 cup carne adovada torn into small pieces*
- 5-6 corn tortillas
- 1 cup red chile sauce or sauce from the carne adovada*
- ½ bunch fresh spinach* stems removed, leaves chopped
- ½ cup minced onion
- cheddar or Montery Jack cheese grated
- sour cream optional
- 1 fried egg over easy or sunny side up per serving (optional)
- After assembling, there are two methods one could use for heating these enchiladas – microwave or oven.
For the microwave
- Assemble each serving of enchiladas on a microwave safe serving plate using 2 to 3 tortillas.
- Heat in the microwave on high for 2 minutes, remove, top with a fried egg, if desired, and serve.
For the oven
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Assemble a multiple layer stack of enchiladas in a small cast iron skillet or oven safe dish using 4 to 6 tortillas.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cut into serving size pieces and top each serving with a fried egg and more red chile if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
- To assemble a layer of enchiladas, dip a corn tortilla in the red chile sauce (or carne adovada sauce) and place on the plate or skillet.
- Top with some of the spinach, carne adovada, minced onion, sour cream, and cheese or whatever you want to add.
- Dip another corn tortilla in the red chile and place on top of the first stack.
- Assemble a second layer.
- Continue stacking until you have the desired number of layers.
- Top the last tortilla with cheese if desired.
- Microwave or bake.
- Serve with or without an egg, extra red chile, and a side of pinto beans.