- 2 cups masa harina
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp. CALUMET Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. shortening
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable or corn oil
- 1 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup KRAFT Shredded Colby & Monterey Jack Cheeses
- 1/2 cup BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1.Mix masa, flour, baking powder and salt. Add shortening; mix with hands until well blended. Gradually add water, mixing after each addition until ingredients are well blended and mixture forms a ball. Divide dough into 14 equal-sized smaller balls; cover until ready to use.
- 2.Flatten each ball into 5-inch round. Heat oil in heavy 12-inch skillet on medium-high heat to between 350°F and 365°F. Add gorditas; fry 3 min. or until crisp and golden brown on both sides; drain. Cool slightly.
- 3.Cut a small slit in top of each gordita. Gently pull apart. Fill with remaining ingredients.
Adapted from www.kraftrecipes.com