- 4 pasilla chiles
- 1 pound queso fresco cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oil
- 4 medium Roma tomatoes halved
- 1 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth powder
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano leaves
- Rice and beans, for serving, if desired
- Heat grill to medium.
- Grill and char the chiles on both sides.
- Once blackened put in a plastic bag for 10 minutes to sweat out any moisture.
- Remove from the bag, slit them down the middle and remove the seeds.
- Stuff the peppers with the queso fresco and use toothpicks to hold them together.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- Add the egg whites to a large bowl.
- Reserve the egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric beater until the whites fluff up.
- Add in the flour and the egg yolks and mix until completely incorporated.
- Add the oil to a frying pan over medium heat.
- Dip the stuffed peppers into the batter and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from the oil to a serving platter.
- Add the tomatoes and water to a small pot over medium heat.
- Simmer the tomatoes until soft and stir in the garlic and chicken broth powder.
- Add the 1/4 cup of oil to a frying pan, over low heat, and stir in the flour to make a roux mixture.
- Cook the flour until browned, then add the tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and then add the oregano.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the cooked chile rellenos on the serving platter and serve.
- If desired, serve with rice and beans.