Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Gorditas
- 2 cups Maseca
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 12 ounces Mexican-style chorizo
- 4 large eggs
- chopped cilantro
- lime wedges
- sliced radishes
- 1.To make the gorditas, combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until evenly moist. You may need to knead the mixture with your hands to make sure there are no dry spots. If the dough seems crumbly and doesn't hold together well you can add more water, a tablespoon at a time, until it is well combined.
- 2.Heat a cast iron skillet or comal over medium heat. Meanwhile, scoop 1/4 cup-size balls of dough and knead briefly in your hands. Form the dough into a smooth ball then flatten between your palms into a disk. Pass the disk back and forth between your hands, slapping the dough from one hand to the other to flatten further into a 4-5 inch circle.
- 3.Once the skillet is hot, but not smoking, add 2 or 3 gorditas at a time to the dry skillet. Leave undisturbed until the bottoms are browned and crisp, about 4-5 minutes. The skillet should be hot but if it starts to smoke turn the heat down to medium-low. Flip the gorditas and cook on the other side until golden, about 3-4 minutes more. Remove gorditas to a clean dish towel, cover and keep warm.
- 4.Meanwhile, remove chorizo from the casing, if necessary, and brown in a large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through. Squeeze some lime juice over the top and keep warm.
- 5.Heat a clean medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Crack eggs into a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper and beat with a fork until combined and smooth. Drizzle a tablespoon of oil in the skillet and spread it around with a rubber spatula to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the eggs and immediately turn the heat to low. Leave eggs undisturbed for a minute then gently fold them in on them selves to scramble. Keep stirring occasionally until cooked through.
- 6.Make a pocket in each gordita with a sharp knife like a pita. Fill with chorizo, eggs, cilantro, radishes and your favorite salsa. Serve immediately.
Adapted from www.holajalapeno.com