- 6 ounces fresh chorizo sausages casings removed
- 6 flour tortillas 6 to 8 inches
- Vegetable oil
- 2¼ cups coarsely grated jalapeño cheese or pepper jack cheese
- 3 scallions white and light green parts only, very thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Store-bought or homemade guacamole
- Your favorite salsa
- ⅔ cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over low heat (250° to 350°F).
- In a small skillet over medium heat, crumble the chorizo and sauté until it is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon as much as possible.
- Transfer the chorizo to a paper towel to drain and cool for 5 minutes.
- Crumble it into small bits if necessary.
- Lightly brush one side of each tortilla with oil.
- Place the tortillas, oiled side down, on a work surface.
- Assemble the quesadillas by spreading 3 tablespoons of the jalapeño cheese on one half of each tortilla.
- Top the cheese with equal amounts of chorizo, scallions, and another 3 tablespoons jalapeño cheese.
- Season evenly with the pepper.
- Fold the empty side of the tortillas over the filling.
- Brush the cooking grates clean.
- Grill the quesadillas over direct low heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until golden on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes, turning once.
- Remove from the grill and let rest for about 1 minute.
- Cut the quesadillas into wedges and serve warm with guacamole, salsa, queso fresco cheese, and cilantro.