El Charro’s Chilaquiles
- 4-6 cups corn tortilla chips preferably stale, broken up a bit but not crushed into crumbs
- 5-6 eggs
- 1 4 ounce can green chiles
- 2-3 cups cheddar and/or Monterey Jack cheese grated
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup scallion finely chopped (white and green parts)
- 1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Gently break up the chips by pressing down on the bag – you’re not trying to break them down too much, just getting them more compact so they layer well. Lay the chips in one large or two smaller casserole dishes. Beat eggs with a fork and stir the can of green chiles into the egg mixture. Pour over chips as evenly as possible.
- 2.Sprinkle the cheese over the eggs and chips, reserving a handful or two for the very top. Pour the enchilada sauce (I used a 12 ounce bottle of Trader JosÃ©’s, quite tasty), then add the corn in an even layer. Top withÂ reserved cheese and bake for 20 minutes, until bubbly. Sprinkle scallions on top and serve!
Adapted from www.apronstringsblog.com