Frijoles with Chorizo Dip
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 fresh serrano chiles finely chopped
- 6 to 8 oz. Mexican chorizo casings removed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 roma tomatoes finely chopped
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans drained
- 1 cup bean broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded queso Oaxaca or mozzarella cheese
- Chopped pickled jalapeños optional
- Chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion and serrano chiles for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Add the chorizo, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon, and let brown until fully cooked.
- Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, cooked pinto beans, and bean broth.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, reduce heat to low.
- Using a potato masher, mash the pinto beans until desired consistency; season with the ground cumin and salt as needed.
- Stir in the cream cheese, Mexican crema, and mild cheddar cheese until completely melted.
- Remove from heat.
- To serve, ladle dip into a large serving bowl; top beans with shredded Oaxaca or mozzarella cheese, chopped cilantro, and pickled jalapeño peppers.
- Serve with plenty of tortilla chips.