Mexican Breakfast Chilaquiles Rojos
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups red chile sauce recipe below
- 1 cup shredded queso quesadilla or Colby cheese
- 1/3 cup diced green or red onions
- 4-8 eggs cooked any style
Red Chile Sauce
- 8 ounces red chile pods Californian or New Mexico
- 6 cups water
- 6 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1.Cut the tortillas into quarters. In a large skillet, heat the oil and fry the tortilla pieces until crunchy. Lower the heat to low.
- 2.Add the red chile sauce and mix gently through the tortilla pieces. Top with the shredded cheese and cook until the cheese just starts to melt.
- 3.Remove from the heat and serve with your choice of eggs.
Red Chile Sauce Instructions
- 1.Remove the stems, seeds and veins from the chile pods. Rinse with cold water. Add the chiles to a pot and add enough water just to cover them.
- 2.Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 20 minutes. After 10 minutes turn the chiles over to cook evenly. Drain and cool.
- 3.In a blender, mix 3 cups of water, half of the cooked chile pods, 3 Tablespoons flour, 2 cloves garlic and half the salt.
- 4.Blend until smooth. Strain the sauce removing any seeds. Repeat this process with the rest of the ingredients and set aside to cool.
I found it easier and quicker to melt the cheese under the broiler Adapted from foodnessgracious.com