Mexican Steak Tacos Recipe
- 2 lbs Flank or Skirt Steak
- Corn Tortillas or Flour Tortilla
- Queso Fresco Panela or other crumbing Mexican cheese
- Pico de Gallo or Salsa
- Chopped Onions
- Slices of Lime
- 5 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 Cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems chopped finely
- 1 Jalapeño or serrano seeded and minced (Use 1/2 for less heat)
- 2 Freshly squeezed limes
- 1 Freshly squeezed orange
- 1-2 Tablespoon Tequila or Mexican Beer optional
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a food processesor or blender, mix all marinade ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Place the steak in a glass or nonreactive baking dish and pour the marinade over the steak. Cover and marinate for 2-8 hours or overnight.
- For best results preheat an oudoor grill. The oven broiler or a cast iron skillet can also be used. Place steaks on grill, season again with salt and pepper. Cook approximately 4-6 minutes per side.
- It is best to take steak off the grill just slightly under your preferred temperature. It will continue to cook while resting. Let it rest a few minutes tented loosely with aluminum foil. Once ready, slice steak into slices about 1/8-1/4 inch thick against the grain.
- While steak is cooking, warm tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side in a skillet or on the grill. Stack the tortillas and move to the side or wrap in foil to keep warm.
- To assemble tacos add slices of steak, chopped onions, cilantro, pico de gallo and cheese to each tortilla. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lime and a dash of your favorite hot sauce.
- As they say in Mexico, Buen Provecho! (Enjoy!)
Adapted from onbetterliving.com