Molletes (fried bean bread)
- For each serving of two molletes you’ll need one bolillo roll. If you don’t have those, you can substitute with a loaf of soft French bread cut into sections.
- A little bit of butter or margarine
- A few tablespoons of refried beans frijoles refritos for each piece of bread
- Shredded cheese
- 1. Cut the bread open lengthwise. If there’s too much bread in the middle, sometimes I remove a little bit. Toast the bread under the broiler or in a toaster oven until the edges turn golden. Lightly butter the toasted bread.
- 2. Spread a few tablespoons of beans onto each piece of bread. Be careful not to make them too heavy. The refried beans pictured here have cooked chorizo mixed in for extra flavor, but that’s completely optional. If you use regular refried beans, this can be a vegetarian meal.
- 3. Add shredded cheese over the top of the beans and place under the broiler or in a toaster oven until the cheese melts.