- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/3 cup warm water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Honey optional
- Confectioners' sugar optional
- 1.In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a loose ball forms (dough will be crumbly).
- 2.On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 3 minutes or until smooth. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll out into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut into 12 squares with a knife or cut into 12 circles using a round biscuit cutter.
- 3.In a deep-fat fryer, heat 2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry sopaipillas for 1-2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels; keep warm. Serve with honey and/or dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Adapted from www.tasteofhome.com