- 2 pounds tilapia fillets finely diced* see Note
- 1 cup lime juice about 8 large limes
- 1/2 cup seeded chopped tomato
- 1/2 cucumber peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup clam-tomato juice recommended: Clamato, optional
- 1 tablespoon bottled hot sauce recommended: Huichol, optional
- 1 serrano chile optional
- Grilled Tostadas recipe follows, or 6 purchased tostadas
- Mayonnaise for spreading
- 1 avocado halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Put the tilapia in a medium bowl.
- Pour the lime juice over the fish and mix gently to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until the fish is white throughout, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and drain off the lime juice, gently squeezing the fish with your hands.
- Discard the lime juice.
- Add the tomato, cucumber, onion, and cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the clam-tomato juice and the hot sauce and chile, if using.
- Spread the tostadas generously with mayonnaise and top with the ceviche.
- Arrange the avocado slices on top of the ceviche and serve immediately with the lime wedges alongside.
The fish is easiest to dice when it is partially frozen; this also makes for a much cleaner presentation. Use a very sharp knife.