- 8 cups water
- 1 pound dried pinto beans rinsed, drained, and sorted
- 4 ounces salt pork
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt divided
- 1 serrano chile optional
- Bring first 8 ingredients, 1/4 tsp. salt, and, if desired, serrano chile to a boil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat 3 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in remaining 1 tsp. salt.
- Remove and discard salt pork and chile before serving.
- Cook 4 cups Traditional Frijoles in 1 Tbsp. hot vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Reduce heat, and mash beans with a potato masher as they cook, adding water if necessary to keep moist.
- Simmer, stirring often