Vegan Taco Bell Cheesy Gordita Crunch
- ¼ cup finely chopped roasted jalapeno peppers
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- 1 recipe of vegan queso
- hard corn taco shells
- soft gordita tortillas
- 1- ½ cups of vegan three cheese blend. I used shredded mozzarella cheddar and pepperjack
- 1 package of veggie ground-beef substitute
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ -1/2 tsp cayenne depending on the desired amount of heat
- Finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1.Make 1 recipe worth of vegan queso and remove from heat.
- 2.Add in finely chopped jalapeno peppers and mix well.
- 3.Add vegan mayo, mix until well combined and set aside.
- 4.Heat coconut oil in a pan or skillet over medium heat.
- 5.Add minced garlic and cook for roughly 2 minutes.
- 6.Add chili powder, paprika, and onion powder and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- 7.Add veggie ground “meat” and cook until heated through.
- 8.Set aside and keep warm.
- 9.Gather your gorditas and set your oven to broil.
- 10.Top each gordita with a generous amount of the shredded cheese blend in an even layer.
- 11.Place these in the oven on the top rack for 30 seconds- 1 minute, or until the cheese has melted. A microwave works too- if you’re into that.
- 12.Remove from oven and place a hard taco shell in the middle of the gordita.
- 13.Gently press the gordita to the hard shell on each side until the melted cheese acts like a glue holding the soft and the hard taco shells together. Be careful NOT to press so hard that you crack the hard taco shell.
- 14.Allow the cheese to set for roughly 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- 15.Once the cheese has set, build your taco.
- 16.Add to the shell first the taco meat, followed by the chilled Baja Sauce, and iceberg lettuce.
Adapted from www.theedgyveg.com