Ranchero Breakfast Tostadas
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 green onions white and green parts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices cooked bacon chopped (optional)
- 8 small corn tortillas
- Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or unsalted butter
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 2 avocados peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime in wedges
- Hot sauce for serving (optional)
- Whether cooking the beans from scratch or using canned, drain the beans and add them to a saucepan over low heat and warm through.
- Add about 1/4 cup tepid water, 1/4 cup of the sour cream, the green onions, cumin, salt, and pepper and mash with a potato masher or a large fork until coarsely mashed but not entirely smooth.
- Stir in the bacon.
- Taste for salt and pepper, add the remaining sour cream if you'd like the beans to be creamier, then turn off the heat and keep covered until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush the tops of the tortillas with a bit of olive oil and lay them on a rimmed baking sheet (it's fine if they overlap).
- Bake until just lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan with the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Working in batches as necessary, gently break the eggs in the pan and cook sunny-side up or to your desired doneness, covering the pan if you like your yolks more cooked through.
- Build a tostada by topping a tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the bean mash, 1 egg, and an eighth of the cheese, avocado slices, and cilantro.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve garnished with a slice of lime and hot sauce to taste.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!