A traditional Mexican breakfast or brunch, our chilaquiles give you an added kick-start to the day thanks to a medley of spicy red chile sauce and shredded chicken. Replace the tomato sauce with Make-Ahead Roasted Roma Tomato Sauce for an extra boost of flavor!
Red Chile Chicken Chilaquiles
Red Chile Sauce
- 3 oz California or New Mexico red chile pods
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can 8 oz tomato sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups Red Chile Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded Oaxaca or Muenster cheese 4 oz
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green or red onions
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco Cotija or feta cheese (4 oz)
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1 To make Red Chile Sauce, remove stems, seeds, and veins from chile pods. Place in colander; rinse well with cool water.
- 2 Place chiles in 3-quart saucepan; add enough water so chiles are just covered. Heat water to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 20 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn chiles over with tongs to make sure chiles soften evenly. Drain cooked pods; cool before blending.
- 3 In blender, combine 2 1/2 cups water, the cooled chile pods, flour, salt and garlic. Cover; blend until smooth. Strain sauce through fine mesh strainer into bowl to remove skins and seeds; discard skins and seeds. Stir in tomato sauce. Taste; if necessary, season with additional salt.
- 4 To make Chilaquiles, cut corn tortillas into quarters. In 10- to 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add tortilla pieces; fry until crunchy.
- 5 Reduce heat to low. Add 2 cups of the Red Chile Sauce; mix just until all tortillas are coated. Stir in chicken; top with Oaxaca cheese. Cook just until cheese is melted. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with green onions and queso fresco cheese; garnish with cilantro.