In this recipe I use tilapia, but feel free to substitute whatever your local fishmonger recommends that day. The citrus marinade “cooks” the fish without heat. Traditional ceviche is left to marinate for up to 3 hours, but in this recipe you’ll have fresh, delicious ceviche in 15 minutes.
- 2 pounds tilapia fillets finely diced* see Note
- 1 cup lime juice about 8 large limes
- 1/2 cup seeded chopped tomato
- 1/2 cucumber peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup clam-tomato juice recommended: Clamato, optional
- 1 tablespoon bottled hot sauce recommended: Huichol, optional
- 1 serrano chile optional
- Grilled Tostadas recipe follows, or 6 purchased tostadas
- Mayonnaise for spreading
- 1 avocado halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Put the tilapia in a medium bowl.
- Pour the lime juice over the fish and mix gently to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until the fish is white throughout, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and drain off the lime juice, gently squeezing the fish with your hands.
- Discard the lime juice.
- Add the tomato, cucumber, onion, and cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the clam-tomato juice and the hot sauce and chile, if using.
- Spread the tostadas generously with mayonnaise and top with the ceviche.
- Arrange the avocado slices on top of the ceviche and serve immediately with the lime wedges alongside.